You know what gives me harmony and inner peace? Waking up early in the morning. Will someone please explain to my why I make the choice to hit the snooze button on my phone every morning in order to lay around longer? When I sleep too late I don’t have time for breakfast or hair or makeup or my gym bag, which means I’m hungry at work, which means I spend money of food when I shouldn’t (an usually its unhealthy, it also means that I have bad hair the whole day and feel a little awkward, and it means that I’ve probably forgotten something I needed for my afternoon workout, which means I’ll have to go home before I work out, which means that I’m probably just not going to work out because I’ll be so hungry after work that I’ll just want to eat when I’m at home and I can’t run on a full stomach. Why would I do all of that to myself?
A few weeks ago I had a spurt of genius and inexplicable will power and I woke up really early for a few mornings (and I was aided by a friend who resolved to get up early as well, she would call me to be sure I was up). That week was also tied to overall joy, satisfaction with my hair and makeup, great workouts, appreciation for my friends, and an overall sense of thankfulness and gratitude for like and everything that God made and called good. Unfortunately, I got sick and very busy immediately after I started this routine…so its no longer a routine. But I’m hoping that this post will inspire me to start it up again.
Here are some things that I enjoyed when I was waking up early.
1) Breakfast. Breakfast is so awesome! Especially when it is eaten very early in the morning when the rest of your family (or roommates) are asleep. How often do you cook and eat in complete silence, calm, and sobriety? Not often for me! I’m usually rushed and things are loud, or I’m eating out, or talking with people. Eating became a joyful meditation where I could focus on the nourishment with which I was being blessed. I even chewed each bite 25 times and sipped on hot tea. Bliss. If I can get myself to make this a routine, I plan on making pancakes.
2) Fashion. I spent time picking out my clothes, makeup, and fixed my hair. Expression through personal fashion is a big part of who I am. The trouble is that I’m often too lazy to express myself. I wore pieces of jewelry that I had made and recently purchased. And the rest of the day I got a sense of satisfaction with my outfits and appearance. Little joys like putting on perfume and a ring were available to me since I had the time to do them. I recently bought some things from Sephora and I received three free perfume samples with my purchase. One morning I sat on me bed and read the description of each sample before choosing which one I would wear. Two of them read:
“Fragrance is as old as the earth. The evening scent of flowers, the woodland odours of plants and roots, the headiness of ripe fruits, the bouquet of wild herbs, the trace of pollen on the wind. Such things are my inspiration for, though they stir the senses, they are redolent of something deeper, harmony and inner peace.” Miller Harris perfume
“Inspired by the Mediterranean seductress, Cleopatra captivates the senses. Fresh and sparkling grapefruit and lush greens fade into accords of sensual white jasmine and tuberose; leaving an exotic, rich dry down of warm patchouli, golden amber and rich vanilla musk.” Cleopatra by Tocca
What does all that even mean, and who is in charge of writing those!? The second one doesn’t even make sense. I went with Cleopatra and it gave me a headache…
3) Fellowship. I drive to work alone every morning, but since I was getting up so early my sister would have me take her to work and we held some great conversations in the morning. Usually I’m completely silent even if I’m with people. It was refreshing to start the day with spoken words and laughter. It was also delightful to hear my friend on the phone every morning…supporting me in my attempts to get myself out of bed. We were comrades in arms against laziness!
4) Preparedness. It is such a good feeling to know that you have food for the work day as well as water, and clothes for your afternoon workout. Its never a matter of not actually having those blessings…it’s a matter of putting the effort into compiling them for the day ahead. In some ways I feel that the 40-hour workday is this evil monster that threatens to steal your soul and zap you of all your energy and joy. It’s easier to battle a monster when you’re ready for the fight. Leaving my home wielding a granola bar, apple, almonds, popcorn and my gym bag….I was invincible. Take that you 40-hour-scum-bag!
Those few days are legendary. Maybe the days of harmonious birds, fragrances that stir the senses, nourishing food and restful eating, warm tea that soothes the palette, clothes as an artistic expression, light laughter and human presence, and victory over the corporate Beast will return…Lord willing.
5 comments:
"Take that you 40-hour-scum-bag!"
I LOVE IT! Yes your joy was very obvious and notable and I hope the routine can become habit :) yay for victory over 8 hour work days!
this was hilarious! i also feel better when i get up at 6, but never do it. sigh.
"easier to battle a monster when you're ready for the fight" <--- touche.
Also, this is freaking hilarious: "What does all that even mean, and who is in charge of writing those!? The second one doesn’t even make sense. I went with Cleopatra and it gave me a headache…"
GET 'EM.
Inspiring post! Maybe we should start a YH Get-out-of-bed! phone tree...
And I agree with Sarah. I really like it any time you use the phrase "What does that even mean?!" in writing, verbally, really, it's always brilliant.
Amen to it all, and I want in on that YH phone tree.
I keep hearing about the YH discussion of why we don't do all the simple things that we know will make life better. Integrating just a couple of them over the last few weeks has drastically improved my life, as it seems to have yours. Here's to new habits...hopefully.
Post a Comment