Friday, January 28, 2011

Fine Jewelry OBSESSION

Getting engaged has caused a new obsession with fine jewelry. Especially gemstones and gold. My fiance will look over at my computer screen and shakes his head when he sees me scrolling through pictures of tanzanite rings. However, I think this whole obsession has been rather educational. I've learned a lot about stone cuts, the hardness of stones, the hardness and purity of gold and other metals, and online shopping. My fiance purchased my ring from www.gemvara.com and we have purchased his wedding band from www.e-weddingbands.com. Mostly for my sake I have compiled an annotated list of the online stores I've found and browsed through.

And if you don't want to read the whole post: diVeine and gemvara are my favorite online fine jewelry stores. Scroll down for the links to their sites.

Angara: The Gemstone Destination

I like Angara because you can choose the clarity/quality of your stone according to your budget. Usually when you click on a piece in which you’re interested a list of stone choices will pop up with ‘lab created’, ‘natural’, ‘better’, ‘best’, and ‘heirloom.’ They are also part of the Better Business Bureau and VeriSignSecured along with some other companies that make them legit. And if you’re worried about ethical diamonds they have this statement on their FAQ page: “Angara supports all industry efforts to end trafficking of conflict diamonds. We only obtain diamonds from reputable sources that comply with the international monitoring system known as the Kimberly Process, which requires manufacturers to supply retailers with documentation that their diamonds were received through legitimate channels.”

annabellagio

This is a wonderful site for bridal jewelry that is relatively inexpensive. They have a lot of customer feedback and they sell pearls, cz, and crystal. They have a ‘sites we like’ menu at the bottom of their page, which will take you to other wedding sites. Their stuff is mainstream and cheaper so its probably not made in the USA and who knows about the ethicality of their practices. It would be comparable to buying merchandise from any department store or mall.

Antique Jewelry Mall: Unique Vintage Jewelry Designs

This site is busy and the graphics are rather kitsch but I get the idea that they are more worried about their merchandise and customer service then their online interface. I’m down with that. They are part of the BBB, JVC and the American Gem Trade Association. And they have SO MANY choices. It would be important to know what you want before going to this site. They have FREE shipping, which is always wonderful.

Brilliant Earth: Ethical Origin Fine Jewelry

This site is wonderful though its not as easy to customize pieces. Their pieces also tend to be more expensive than many of the other sites I have listed. You also can’t get gemstones other than diamonds and sapphires unless you’re shopping their antique or estate lines. The vintage jewelry is really the highlight of this store and I also enjoy some of their more classic and unique wedding band options. If price isn’t an issue you can also design some really gorgeous pieces. As the title shows, its ethical and they are part of the BBB and Green America.

CAROLEE

Carolee was most helpful when I was looking for relatively inexpensive bridal jewelry. They have a wide variety of pieces in both their fine and fashion jewelry sections and they also sell pearls, cubic zirconia, and crystal – which is essential for inexpensive bridal jewelry. You can also find their pieces at stores like Bloomingdales, Dillard’s and Lord & Taylor so they are very legit but also very mainstream. I don’t think being locally and ethically made are really a high concern of theirs.

CRED: The Fair Trade Jeweler

This company is very fair and ethical (like their name suggests). They don’t have as many choices as some of the other sites and they also are a bit more pricey. Their designs are very unique and they have a more elite feel. They are based in the UK so you also have to deal with their sizing method and the exchange rate – which could very well be worth it if you find something you love there.

diViene

This is definitely my new favorite online fine jewelry shopping spot. They are local and everything actually is made in L.A. right in the heart of Hollywood. The only imported materials they use are the gemstones and they only used conflict-free diamonds. They are also part of the BBB and some other secure shopping accreditations. Also, at diViene I have found the most unique gemstone jewelry. The only online store that is comparable as far as design is concerned is Gemvara. They also have free shipping and gift wrapping and a 360 day warranty. Yes please.

Etsy

I don’t really think I need to say much about this site – go look for yourself – it is awesome. Handmade, vintage, antique, TONS of unique one-of-a-kind choices.

gemvara: designer jewelry your way

This is another one of my online favorites! They have designs that I love and you can literally customize everything. Comparatively they are more pricey because everything is ‘designer’ but their prices are still lower than some that you’ll find at a normal jewelry store. You can also customize according to your budget. They sell conflict-free jewelry and are part of the BBB and all of their products are made in the USA. I can say that their customer service and pieces are wonderful since I have one of their rings on my finger.

Jewels for ME: the gemstone experts

This site has a wide range of stones you can choose from and you can also choose lab created or natural stones if you’re looking to lower price. I don’t care much for a lot of their designs but their jewelry would appeal to most – it’s a little more commercial or traditional. They are also part of the JVC but not the BBB and they have good internet security. When my fiancĂ© and I were looking for my engagement ring we were almost going to purchase from this site but found that the customer reviews were better at Gemvara. Also, they recently included conflict-free information on their site under the ‘details’ tab for each of their pieces.

POVADA: Fine Diamond and Gemstone Jewelry

This site has more unique designs that I really love. Online browsing is especially easy with this site. Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything about their ethical standards and they are not part of the BBB or the JVC. They were just founded in 2009 out of New York’s Diamond district so maybe as they grow they will be more conscientious. I would not purchase from this site but it’s a wonderful place to get ideas about what you like.

SZUL

This store has a lot of choices at competitive prices but I don’t like their jewelry designs as much. Like the other stores I have listed thus far, they are an exclusively internet-based company but their headquarters are located in Manhattan’s Diamond District. I thought at some point that I had read about their ethical trade requirements but now I can’t find it. In my opinion, if that’s not easy to find then you’re not trying hard enough to assure your patrons. They are not part of the BBB but they are part of the Jeweler Vigilence Committee, which does speak to their ethical conscious.

Topazery

This site is wonderful for antique jewelry. They have a variety of designs and stones and wonderful pictures to display their merchandise. Their site is a little busy so it makes it hard to understand where their stuff is coming from. Since it is all pre-owened some of the ethical questions don’t really apply to them. If you’re worried about quality and appraisal they do speak to that on their site. They are not part of the BBB but they are part of some secure shopping neworks. You’ll find some of the most unique jewelry here.

Here are some other links/categories that you will have to check out for yourself...

Wedding Bands

http://eweddingbands.com/

http://www.iweddingband.com/

http://www.loveweddingbands.com/

Pearls

http://www.thepearlsource.com

http://www.pearlparadise.com

http://store.nationalpearl.com

http://www.premiumpearl.com

http://www.gemvara.com/Pearl-Jewelry/jewelry/b/gemstones-pearl/

Fashion Jewelry

http://www.anthropologie.com

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com

http://www.modcloth.com

http://www.1928.com

No comments: