Monday, April 6, 2009

*Boade Shunner



This weekend I got to watch two films and do some more artwork (among other things)! Delight of delights!! I thought I’d do two short/lame film reviews. Always lame, I don’t claim that they’re anything else. Well, maybe they’re sometimes comical. Will contain spoilers.


Bottle Shock (2008)
This was a based-on-a-true-story story about wine. I know nothing about wine. There was more to the plot than just wine, but really it was about wine. No, really it was about victory for the underdog. Country, Californian folk try their hand at making Chardonnay and they end up beating the French in a taste-testing contest. It was a cute story, solely about wine. I’m kidding, I’m kidding. It was also about coming of age, learning ambition, never giving up, it had some interesting anecdotes about racism, love, father/son relationships, broken homes, and the beauty of simplicity and nature. And wine. Alan Rickman is great in it and Chris Pine has some gnarly blond hair (Seriously what’s with that? It looks fake.). Also, the love interest/intern (that’s original…) is kind of a ho (very original) but in a understated way that is unclear and does not further the plot. Strange…was that part of the true story? Best part of the movie: California scenery and a focus on the simple. It made me want to live in a barn and work in a field all day, while admiring the country-side and thanking God for earth, life, food, water, and air.


Blade Runner (1982)
I’m so glad I finally saw this one! It’s a must-see for a ‘film person’ (whatever that means). And, wow, it was so weird. It was a mix between a horror film, Star Wars, and Alien. The plot was really, really slow which was unexpected as I understood it to be an action film. The cinematography was stunning, although creepy. The sound editing was also amazing (there was, however, this weird Kenny G-like saxophone ditty going on in some of the scenes…I really could have done without that). And Daryl Hannah. You haven’t really seen her act unless you’ve seen this film. I’m honestly still confused about the ending, I don’t get the unicorn stuff. Any ideas? I’ll research it later. As of now, I’d like to finish this blog before my lunch break is over. Best part of the movie: Harrison Ford drawing the audience into the story by looking helpless and vulnerable when he’s in a fight (why is he so good at this!?). And….Rutger Hauer howling at the moon (or something…) in a black, spandex-capri-thong-thing at the end. What? Whatever it was, it worked.




*Boade Shunner = Bottle Shock and Blade Runner mixed together. Yes.

4 comments:

xtina said...

"There was more to the plot than just wine, but really it was about wine." <-- BAHAHHAHAHAH you're totally right. it was about wine. now that, that was wiiiinnne!! haaggard!!! uuuunicorn!!!

"thanking God for earth, life, food, water, and air." <-- and wine.

"Rutger Hauer howling at the moon (or something…) in a black, spandex-capri-thong-thing at the end. What? Whatever it was, it worked." <-- *shocked laughter* do i want to see this movie!?

Erica said...

I'm picturing Harrison fighting some dude while giving the camera a puppy dog face.

MBK said...

dude, why do you keep calling your reviews lame? *sigh* we need to break you of this modesty...

Harrison Ford <3

Kyla said...

Delight of delights!!