Sunday, March 13, 2011

Aquamarine, Electric Indigo, and Coral

I am currently obsessed with three colors that can be found in precious stones and nature. I think my obsession with these three colors really came about after spending way too much time trying to decide what color stones I would like for my engagement ring. Since then, I have continued to be enamored with all three colors and after doing a bit of research for this blog, they've become a little more enigmatic to me. Also, keep in mind that I'm doing all this on an old mac screen - so the images may be off on your screen...but they look right to me.

AQUAMARINE
Aquamarine is a pale tint of spring green toned towards cyan. Because its such a light tint, it is basically a mix of blue, green, and clear which simply makes it quite variable in clothes, jewelry, paint, fabrics, etc. While researching the color I found that seafoam and spring green were more readily 'searchable' than aquamarine but its not because the hue was wrong, its because it was simply the wrong tint...so it needed more clear (if that makes any sense). For instance, Amy Adams' dress (below) is a very saturated, darker tint than aquamarine proper. In addition, the aquamarine stone can have varying tints and shades within it and the smaller the stone, the lighter the tint.
ELECTRIC INDIGO
Electric Indigo is a hue of violet tinted towards blue. It is a very saturated hue (hence the name electric). Indigo is the title of the color right between blue and violet on the color spectrum. You can find this color in nature on the Indigo Bunting (little birdie pictured below) and in Tanzanite (princess cut stone engagement ring pictured below). Tanzanite, however is a little less saturated than electric indigo - though I suppose if you had a stone deep enough it would look completely saturated like that boot or Amy Adam's dress. Amy Adam's has apparently worn all of my favorite colors.

CORAL
Coral is a pink-ish orange. Like my other two favorites, its an "in-between-color." Thus, there are a lot of variations of it. I tend to like less saturated and more pink versions of coral. It can be found in nature in...coral. As well as in flower variations. The flowers I have pictured here are peonies. I really like accessorizing in coral, I'm not quite as comfortable wearing it as a main piece (such as a blouse or dress) though I'm sure if I found the right one, I'd love it. I also enjoy peach, but peaches tend to be a bit tinted towards yellow rather than red and I care for that much less. You can comment and ask if you'd like the sources of any of these images. I don't have the patience to record them all for you. :)

2 comments:

Xpiotiva said...

What the heck Amy Adams?! It's like she's in your head! Climbin in yo brainz, snatchin yo fashionz up

Cherith said...

i was worried amy adams wouldn't make it in on the last palette so you can imagine my relief to find her there! ps. i love that you tend to cite your sources, miss grad student.