Monday, April 25, 2011

Eggs.

For whatever reason, as a youth I was obsessed with egg decorating.  Year round, regardless of whether or not it was close to Easter.  Specifically, I enjoyed the Ukrainian style of egg decorating.  I blame this mostly on the fact that in 4th grade (or thereabout) I saw a Reading Rainbow episode that featured Ukrainian egg decorating and I was hooked ever since.  Luckily for me, my elementary school art teacher happened to have all the Ukrainian egg stuff and I was her TA so she let me decorate a whole bunch and then as a gift for all my TA work she bought me the supplies I needed to create my own.  


Anyway, this general love for Ukrainian eggs led to an interest in other kinds of decorated eggs: painted, fabergé, rock or marble eggs, etc.  In sixth grade, for Easter I decorated my own eggs and had my own Easter egg hunt.  I don't remember how this technically worked since I think I hid them AND hunted them.  Regardless, my supportive mother witnessed and encouraged the whole ordeal.  What's more is that eggs continue to have an appeal to me. Just today I saw this post from design*sponge and my little heart was all a flutter.  I sent the link to my sister and she said, "please create those for your wedding centerpieces. go."  So, all this is to say that I truly love eggs.  Here is some egg eye candy for you...










P.S. Ukrainian egg decorating goes into the odd list of obsessions I had growing up that were very particular and rather strange.  The list includes but is not limited to: Gone With the Wind, painting metal men, or keeping and treasuring things that I'd randomly find on the ground and being depressed that I'd never find anything else so lovely.

1 comment:

e said...

Those eggs are amazing! Also I love that you hid AND found easter eggs.

Next Easter I want to make some elaborate eggs!!