Friday, February 25, 2011

Black History Month

Into Bondage by Aaron Douglas (1936)

This month, February, is Black History Month. I'm a little late but there are still a few days left. Race and ethnicity are two things that I don't think I've ever blogged about, which is ironic since they are two of the things that I'm most passionate about and I'm reasonably knowledgeable about them! Part of the reason I never blog about it is because I team teach an undergrad sociology course called Race and Ethnic Relations. Believe me, I have SO MANY antecdotes and stories that range from being angry and despairing to hopeful and touching. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I feel comfortable sharing real stories about a real job on a real campus. I just feel like the blogging community is a great place to stick your foot in your mouth and get sued by a student or something. So, I've been silent. I'd like to start blogging about this issue and investigating how I can diplomatically share my opinions on race and ethnicity.

To start off - I just wanted you to know that its Black History Month and I agree with and celebrate its cause! Last week was African American Festival Week here at Trinity. Due to my horribly busy schedule, I was barely able to attend any events but I was really impressed with what Trinity offered. One highlight seemed to have been Dr. John Perkins chapel message on a Hope for Reconciliation. I'm sad to have missed his presentation but I did get to see Dr. Michael Reynolds' message on why we should celebrate Black History month.

No comments: